I don’t know about you, but I spend a lot of money every year on makeup and makeup brushes. Its crazy how much a good quality makeup brush costs! So, I found a toxic free recipe to clean your makeup brushes and make them last longer.
Here is a little recipe for making your own makeup brush shampoo at home! It uses four Young Living essential oils from the Premium Starter Kit:
- Purification (blend of Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavender, Rosemary and Tea Tree oil): antibacterial, tissue regeneration, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, disinfectant and purifier
- Lemon: antiseptic and fights acne and anxiety
- Lavender: antiseptic, antifungal and combats skin conditions such as eczema, acne, psoriasis and scarring
- Tea Tree: antibacterial, disinfectant and fights acne
It’s so important to give your brushes a regular deep cleaning! They can be a breeding ground for bacteria and rubbing old makeup all over your face will lead to breakouts!
- 4 tablespoons of Castile soap
- 5 drops of Purification oil
- 3 drops of Lemon oil
- 2 drops Lavender oil
- 2 drops Tea Tree oil
In a small glass jar or lotus bowl, mix together the ingredients above. Saturate bristles under warm, running water and dip into soap/oil mixture. Gently rub bristles in a circular motion against the palm of your hand for about ten seconds. Rinse soap under running water until bristles are clean and void of makeup. Lightly shake out the brush and lay them flat on their side on a towel to dry out over night. DO NOT let them dry upright or water may back into the handle and weaken the glue bonding.
DIY Make-Up Brush Refresh Spray
In between deep washes, use this makeup refresh spray to clean and disinfect your brushes after every use.
- ½ cup water
- 3 drops Purification oil
- 2 drops Lemon oil
- 1 drop Lavender oil
- 1 drop Tea Tree oil
- 1 pinch Epsom salt
Combine all ingredients in a glass spray bottle and replace lid. Spray cleaner 1-2 times directly on bristles. Rub bristles in circular motion against a clean tissue to remove makeup for about 5 seconds.
Love & Sparkle,